Eating this cake floods my senses with fond school dinner memories. It’s so easy to make, is enough for lots of portions (so good if it is for a group) and easy to cut up into sections.
- 300g caster sugar
- 200g butter or margarine
- 300g self raising flour
- 75 ml milk
- 4 medium eggs
- 300 g icing sugar (plus a dash of warm water to make this up)
- Hundreds and thousands sprinkles
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees c. Then spray your dish with cooking oil and line with grease proof paper.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and combine together, stirring for about 5 minutes. (The best results are when you use an electric mixer).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tins and cook in the oven for 45 mins – 1 hour. The timings depend on how deep your tin is- the deeper the tin, the longer it will need in the oven. Keep checking it putting a skewer in the cake until it comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins and then pour over the icing followed by hundreds and thousands sprinkles.
- Leave the icing to set for a little bit (about an hour) and then remove the cake from the tin. Cut into squares and serve.