This is a perfect recipe if you are looking to impress- I used my own homemade jam to make it extra special, but you can just use it out the jar if you are in a hurry.
- 200 g margarine
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
For the filling and topping
- half a jar of jam (see how to make your own blackberry jam here)
- 150 g margarine
- 300 g icing sugar
- handful of summer fruits to top
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C, then grease and line two cake tins.
- Add the margarine, caster sugar, eggs and self raising flour and mix together until fully incorporated.
- Evenly distribute the mixture between the two tins and pop in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the cakes are browning on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins, and then remove. Make sure they are fully cool before chopping each in half through the middle (horizontal, not vertical).
- Now it’s time to assemble your cake. Try not to pile on loads of filling, as I made this mistake and my cake started to crack! Add a little butter cream and jam to each layer and then a small amount on the top before garnishing with your summer fruits. Then dust a little icing sugar on the top.