I’ve loved picking blackberries from hedgerows on my dog walks over the past month, but have been stockpiling for making jam, and am running out of room in my freezer! Last weekend I gave it a go…
This recipe will make one jar.
- 1 kg blackberries (can cook from frozen)
- 759g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- To make the jam you will need a large deep bottom pan. If using fresh blackberries make sure they are washed, if frozen add straight to the pan. Then add the sugar and turn on the heat.
- Pop a plate in the fridge for testing the jam is done later.
- Mix the content well and keep mixing until the mixture boils down. Then leave on the hob for about 45 minutes, stiring intermittently.
- To check the jam is done, take your cold plate out of the fridge and pop a spoon of mixture on it, if it runs it will need a bit longer, if it sticks then the jam is done.
- You can now either strain the jam or enjoy it with seeds in. Pop the mixture (strained or otherwise) into a clean and sterile jar and turn the jar upside down. Keep upside down in a cool dry place for a few hours. If your jars are sterile, the jam should last for a couple of months.