This is one of my favourite summer recipes and perfect if you can’t really be bothered to be standing around slaving in the kitchen! Harissa is a great ingredient- a paste that is made from chilli and other spices and widely used in North African and Middle Eastern Cuisines.
I use a whole chicken and spatchcock it, but you could also use other chicken cuts, it just won’t take as long to cook.
- half a packet of frozen chopped peppers (or if you’ve got time to cut them yourself, you’ll need 2 whole peppers)
- 1 onion (diced) again, for ease I use frozen diced onions!
- 1 large potato (diced)
- 1 small/ medium whole chicken
- 1 jar of harissa paste
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Prepare your peppers and onions if you are not using them from the freezer, and chop your potato into small chunks.
- Then spatchcock your chicken. Carefully cut down the back of the chicken and open it out flat, placing on a large baking tray. Add the veg and potatoes around the chicken and put the harissa paste on top of everything. When I have got what I can out the jar, I usually put a tiny amount of water in the bottom and swill it round before drizzling it on top of the chicken.
- Roast in the oven for 50 minutes- 1 hour or until crispy on the top and cooked through.