I have been stocking up on great one-pot recipes for a while now for several reasons. A) less washing up, and B) no wasting any great flavours. This meatball risotto is one of my current favourites, and perfect as a comfort food dish.
- 1 packet of beef meatballs (I normally serve around 4 meatballs per person). You can also make these from scratch with some beef mince and beaten egg.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g diced onion ( I keep a packet of frozen diced onion in my freezer always!)
- 200 g risotto rice
- Around 1 litre of chicken stock
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 50 g grated hard cheese (hard cheese is best, but if you only have cheddar this also tastes great)
- Brown the meatballs in a large deep sided frying pan with the olive oil. They don’t need to be completely cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened for about 5 minutes. Then add the rice and cover in the oil.
- Pour in the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat, simmering for around 15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the pan and simmer for another 5 minutes. If the mixture requires more stock- add some in. Then stir in the cheese and serve.