There are loads of blackberries around at the moment on hedgerows just waiting to be picked, and I’ve been looking for a way to use them all up. I made a gluten free version of these by substituting the self-raising flour for wheat free flour.
- 150 g blackberries
- 100 g baking spread or butter
- 100 g milk chocolate
- 235 g self-raising flour
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100 ml boiling water
- 3 medium eggs
For the icing
- 150 g blackberries (pureed)
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 500 g icing sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees c and line a muffin tin with paper cases. Crush half the blackberries with a fork.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan, then add to the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and then add the crushed blackberries and the boiling water. Mix together until smooth.
- Divide between the cases and bake for around 20 minutes until risen. Allow to cool completely.
- Whizz the remaining 150 g blackberries into a puree (I like to use a Masha). Then beat together the butter and icing sugar until fluffy and add the puree. You may need to add a little more icing sugar dependent on how juicy your blackberries are.
- Spoon into a piping bag and cover each cupcake. Top with a blackberry.