I’ve been trying to find a good chicken satay recipe for a while now, so was delighted when I stumbled across this recipe from Lyles. A little Lyle’s Black Treacle gives the satay a signature depth of flavour bringing out a special sweetness that works really well with the other flavours.
- 2 tbsp Lyle’s Black Treacle
- 100g crunchy peanut butter
- 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 500g skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- To make the satay sauce put the Lyle’s Black Treacle into a large mixing bowl (not a metal one) with the peanut butter, chilli sauce, soy sauce and lemon juice. Spoon half this mixture into a small serving bowl, stir in 2 tbsp just-boiled water, then cover and set aside to serve with the meal.
- Add the chunks of chicken to the rest of the satay sauce in the bowl. Mix well, then cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or overnight, if preferred).
- When ready to cook, preheat the barbecue or grill. Thread the chicken onto soaked wooden kebab sticks or skewers. Barbecue or grill, turning often, for 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is done. (Test with a sharp knife – there should be no trace of pink juices).
- Serve with warm pitta bread or salad