It’s National Pie Week (6-12th March) and I’ve already posted a couple of articles with recipes and reviews to help you celebrate in style. However, I can’t help but thinking one very important person is being left out.
Anyone who knows me well knows that there is only one thing I love more than food and that is dogs. So, you can only imagine how delighted I was when I was sent a recipe from the Maytime Inn in Burford- a dog friendly pub in the heart of Asthall in the Costwolds.
For the pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 115g unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp cold water
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- 2 partridge breasts diced (or chicken if you are unable to find partridge)
- 2 carrots diced
- 50ml chicken stock
- Mix the filling ingredients together
- Rub the fat into the flour until you get a crumbly mixture, gradually add the water and mix with a knife
- Knead and roll out the pastry, then use a cake cutter to make 12 pie bases and 12 lids. Grease cupcake tins and place the pie bases inside.
- Place a small blob of meat mix in each pie. Place the lids on, seal the edges, and make a small hole on top
- Finally, brush with milk to brown them and cook for 20-25mins at 180c