Today is National Almond Day- who knew! Anyone who knows me well will know that I love almonds, and particularly marzipan, so it seemed a shame to let a day of almond celebration pass by! Almonds can add such a dense and tasty flavour to the most simple of cakes. I love this recipe for a Frangipane layer cake I made for my Grandma’s birthday. The decoration is really easy to do, but looks professional (I think anyway!)
- 300g butter
- 300g sugar
- 300g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and prepare three sandwich tins
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Then add the ground almonds and other dry ingredients. Slowly add the eggs and vanilla essence and whisk until fully combined.
- Split the mixture evenly into three sandwich tins and cook for 25-35 mins or until the mixture is golden brown.
- Allow to cool, and then assemble, using strawberry jam in between each layer.
- To decorate use a piping bag and nozzle with pattern piping around the cake with a vanilla buttercream icing.
- To finish off place fresh raspberries in the centre of the cake.
Let me know how you get on if you try this recipe! @efoakden