A few weeks ago I put together this cake for a good friend’s 22nd birthday. One of the responsibilities that comes with being a good cook is making sure you make all your friends cakes! I guess thought that also means that it won’t just be me who is piling on the pounds!
Sometimes I do find it difficult to be imaginative with decorating cakes… it’s all about the taste for me! But, I love the cake bunting I used for this birthday cake. It’s really easy to make and I think it looks lovely.
- 300g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g flour
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
For the butter icing frosting (use the same inside and out):
- 500g icing sugar
- 250g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Cream together the butter and sugar until soft, then add the eggs one at a time and the vanilla essence and flour until it is all combined.
- Divide the mixture between three greased sandwich tins and cook for around 20 mins until the cakes are golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Cream together the icing sugar and butter with the vanilla essence until you have a butter cream.
- Separate a quarter of the mixture and add a drop of pink food colouring (this will be the mixture used inside the cake).
- Assemble the cake layers sandwiching together with the pink butter icing.
- Then cover the cake with the remaining icing and leave to set
- Decorate around the edge with coloured edible balls and cake bunting (I used the printable letters here)