I know that in a way that is part of their appeal, but by using a malt hot chocolate powder in this recipe combined with cocoa powder the richness is not quite as intense.
For the cake…
– 30g of malted chocolate drink powder (Maltesers actually do a drinking chocolate which comes in little 25g packets which are perfect for this)
-30g cocoa powder
– 225g butter
– 225g self-raising flour
For the icing…
– 60g malted chocolate drink powder
– 2 tbsp hot milk (pop in the microwave for a couple of seconds)
– 125g butter
– 250g icing sugar
– a handful of maltesers to decorate
1. Grease two sandwich tins and preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Place your malted chocolate powder and cocoa powder in a bowl and mix to a paste with a few table spoons of water. Then add all the other ingredients, and mix for several minutes until all the ingredients are incorporated.
3. Divide the mixture between the cake tins and bake for around 25 minutes.
4. Allow the cakes to cool slightly in the tin before removing and setting aside to fully cool.
5. Meanwhile prepare your icing. Place the malted chocolate powder in a bowl with the warm milk and mix to a paste. Then add the icing sugar and butter and mix together until you are left with a smooth butter icing.
6. When the cakes are cool put a thin layer of icing in the middle before using the rest of the top. Decorate with Maltesers and serve.