These bite sized Bakewell tarts are perfect for a mid afternoon slice of heaven. I’m a sucker for anything containing almonds, and so Bakewell tarts are one of my favourite treats. This recipe takes around 30 minutes to make along with 30 minutes in the oven. You can cut the slices as big or small as you like and store for up to a week in an airtight container.
- 500g block of shortcrust pastry
- 6/7 tbsp strawberry jam
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 100g self raising flour
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 300g icing sugar
- Glace cherries
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Grease a baking tray and lightly flour your work surface before rolling out your pastry to cover the base and sides of the tray. Spread the jam over the pastry and set to one side.
2. Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric whisk until it is smooth and creamy. Then beat in the eggs one by one adding a little of the ground almonds in between.
3. When you have added all the eggs mix in the flour, remaining ground almonds and the almond extract. Spoon the mixture over the jam evenly to ensure a well baked layer and pop into the oven for 25-30 mins until golden. Set aside and leave to cool in the tin.
4. Mix together the icing sugar with around 4 tbsp of warm water to make up a fairly thick icing. Then, when the tart is cool carefully spoon the cing on top making sure it is spread evenly. Decorate with glace cherries and leave to set. Then cut into squares to serve.